[OS X TeX] CTAN primary nodes have big problems with MacTeX traffic

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Tue Mar 27 16:34:31 CEST 2007

Does the big image of the dmg at the upper left of the page take
someone to the multiplexer? It says "to download, click on image."
Perhaps having this link lead to the multiplexer would increase its
traffic, if it doesn't go there already.

On Mar 27, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to let you know that the primary CTAN nodes have big
> problems with the volume of MacTeX downloads. Please, please,
> please: If you download, use the multiplexer link on http://
> www.tug.org/mactex/ and *not* one of the direct CTAN links.
>
> We have over a hundred mirrors, please let's utilize them.
>
> In the last 12 hours alone, ftp.dante.de already had more than 60
> GB of MacTeX traffic, even though we throttled the bandwidth
> already to reduce the load. We will now disallow downloads from
> sites with unresolvable IP addresses, as a last resort. This month,
> we will have again more than 3 TB traffic, which starts to be a
> real problem for us. (Our hosting contract includes only 2.5 TB
> traffic per month.) Cambridge is threatening to turn off its
> (primary!) CTAN node if we don't get the traffic under control.
>
> So, please help to spread the word: Use the multiplexer link to
> reduce the overload of the primary hosts.
>
> For the CTAN team,
>
> 	Joachim
>
> (I will follow this thread on the ML, and try to answer.)
>
> --

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
amgoldstein <at> mac <dot> com
http://homepage.mac.com/amgoldstein