[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX]

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Mar 27 09:21:55 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Chetan Nayak wrote:

> Thanks. That fixed the problem.
>
> Obviously, I'm still living in the 20th (if not the 19th) century,
> but it's time for me to enter the modern world. MacTeX sounds like
> a good place to start. However, I'm still using TeXShop. Is there a
> newer/better
> front end with which I should replace this?

Yes. In brief (I'm rushing for my class), you have several options:

1. Download MacTeX-2007 package from:

<http://www.tug.org/mactex/>

You'll get texlive-07, texshop, etc. (everything that you may need) from
the package.

You will get also i-Installer from it.

2. In addition you can install the newest (of 21st century) gwTeX via

a) the i-Installer, or
b) following the link from the MacTeX distr to the page:

<http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html>

3. You can istall the front-ends, incl TeXShop, + gwTeX (without
TeXLive-07). gwTeX has an excellent selection of what you need to
have working TeX on a Mac.

A major difference between TeXLive-07 (for Mac) and gwTeX is that
TeXLive-07 comes with all styles etc. that are on ctan, and thus, has a
large, huge, size. Thus, your choice may depends on the memory that you
have on your machine.

I myself have both texlive-07 and gwTeX (and sometimes I'm simply
forgetting which one I am using :) You'll get also an additional program
for very easy switch, with a click of the mouse from the System
Preferences, between TeXLive-07 and gwTeX.

Roussanka