[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 04:11:43 CEST 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 26 mars 07 à 18:51, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>
>> By the way, while TeXShop's Basic Help says:
>>
>> 	This feature requires that files named "pdfsync.sty," [...] be
>> installed in TeXLive. These files are automatically installed by
>> the MacTeX packages. If you obtained TeX another way, find these
>> files in the TeXShop distribution
>>
>> there were no such files in texshop.dmg. (Hence my use of the old
>> pdfsync.sty.)
>
> No, don't use your old pdfsync, it can only mess things up.

Right now, my installation is working but I will have to get the new
pdfsync because, indeed, I am

> using gwTeX instead of TeXLive, then that's another story (it' not
> clear to me from your previous postings whether you're using gwTeX
> or TeXLive-2007). gwTeX does not include pdfsync.sty, meaning you
> (or TeXShop) must provide it separately.
>
> As a test:
>
> Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=gwTeX "kpsewhich
> pdfsync.sty"
> Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=TeXLive-2007
> "kpsewhich pdfsync.sty"
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pdfsync/pdfsync.sty
>
>> After I used my old pdfsync.sty, though, I ran again into the
>>
>> 	Error: I can't write on file '(name)'
>>
>> problem and, again, I was not able to apply Voisin's suggestion:
>> After I entered
>>
>> 	sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>>
>> and got the reverse video and hit Control R, I got more reverse
>> video with
>>
>> 	File to insert [from ./] :
>>
>> so, not knowing what I was doing, I bailed out rather than risk
>> creating havoc in the installation.
>
> After typing "sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/
> texmf.cnf", which opens the file /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/
> web2c/texmf.cn in pico, *don't* type Ctrl-R: by doing this, you're
> asking pico to include the content of an external file at the
> insertion point inside texmf.cnf. Just use the arrow keys to scroll
> down to the line
>
> openout_any = p
>
> change the "p" to "r", then type Ctrl-O to save your changes and
> then Ctrl-X to exit. You're done.

For reasons I gave in my response to Dyballa, right now I don't have
any time, but I have finally given in and will attempt to write
minimal Terminal talk so I will study the above.

Very grateful regards
--schremmer