preview in TexShop was: Re: [OS X TeX] FYI: Smultron

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Fri Mar 23 12:29:05 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2007, at 03:46, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> How strange! I just checked and it does for me. Just to be sure: in the
>>> ``Document'' tab of Preferences, I have checked ``Configure for External
>>> Editor'', and in the ``Preview'' tab ``Automatic Preview Update''.
>>>
>>> Then you have to quit TeXShop, typeset in Emacs and open the PDF again in
>>> TeXShop
>>
>> I've done this, and tested it many-many times and now again. TexShop always
>> pops-up:
>
> [...]
>
>> Which version of emacs do you use? And how did you configure Emacs to use
>> TeXShop as the default PDF viewer?
>
> Exactly the same you use: Seiji Zenitani's Carbon Emacs. As for the
> configuration, I use TeXniscope as my DVI viewer and TeXShop as the PDF
> viewer: in my .emacs
> 1) I load Prof. Enrico Franconi's Enhanced Carbon Emacs plug-in:
>
> http://web.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/enhanced-carbon-emacs/

I used to use these plug-in too, but then I couldn't get them +
Aquamacs + spellchecker and gave them up. I should try Enrico Franconi's
Enhanced Carbon Emacs plug-in with Carbon Emacs. But I think the problem
with Emacs <-> TexShop is independent and should be resolved somehow...

BTW, I also tried the combination pdflatex + TeXShop as viewer: on my
machine this combination also creates a <file>.pdf version twice, the 2nd
when TeXShop opens the <file>.pdf display. Try to check this on your
machine by:

1. run pdflatex from Emacs
2. check the time stamps of the relevant files, esp. of the <file>.pdf, by:

ls -l <file>.*

3. wait at least a couple of minutes
4. Issue the View command from Emacs, by {Ctrl-c, Ctrl-c}
5. check the time stamp of the <file>.pdf by:

ls -l <file>.*

I get each time, *new* <file>.pdf version when TeXShop is the viewer
(with both latex and pdflatex).

Roussanka