[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Mar 23 10:35:51 CET 2007

Am 23.03.2007 um 05:40 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> (2) As it happens, a friend came for dinner whose second language
> is Unix. Before I could blink, he had carried out Voisin'
> suggestion, i.e. added openout_any = r at the end of the file and
> it works.

Is this really the only case of an openout statement? Now that you're
no UNIX virgin anymore you could check this in Terminal with

	grep -n openout /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/
web2c/texmf.cnf

or more precisely

	grep -n openout_any /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

(In both commands grep sees two file names. When it finds an
occurence, it will also report the name of the file in which it found
the search pattern. When only one file name is given, no file name is
reported – because it's simple logic that grep can't find the pattern
in a file which it does know and since the user and grep know in
which file they looked up the pattern it's useless to repeat its
name. Sometimes the name counts, for example when find is used to
locate some file in some corner of the disk and then grep is used to
determine whether a search pattern is contained in any of those files
found. In such a case, or out of bigger curiosity, one can give grep
a second file name with almost no content, to finish search at once: /
dev/null.)

In case that no texmf.cnf had an openout statement it would have
worked to simply add one by

	sudo echo "openout_any = r" >> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

The use of ``>>´´ is the important thing: it adds something to the
previous contents at its end. If only one angle is used, the old
contents is replaced by a new one ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)