[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:20:14 CET 2007

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 22.03.2007 um 15:52 schrieb Franck Pastor:

>>> But then how do you "invoke" SubEthaEdit" in the terminal?

The saga has started:

(1)  I tried to install nano. After I downloaded it, I got the usual
incomprehensible (for me) stuff on the terminal, the short of it is that
it can't install nano.

(2) So, I reverted to subethaedit and tried a modified Voisin 8:52 AM. I
typed in the terminal

    sudo subethaedit /usr/local/gwtex/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

here is the terminal response:

    sudo: subethaedit /usr/local/gwtex/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf :
    command not found

Terminal indeed. :-)

(3) As I was going to post this, Schulz's came in. (thanks) so I
installed the Command Line Tool and SubEthaEdit' acknowledged. But I am
still getting command not found.

(4) As per Dyballa's terminal-free approach, I opened texmf.cnf with
SubEthaEdit.
However, there is no openout, openin, etc in texmf.cnf

(5) I thought that, since texmf.cnf is dated May 22, 2005, I would
uninstall everything and then re-install but I could not find how to ask
i-installer to uninstall anything. I suppose I should know what package
I want to uninstall but I don't. Can I just trash everything after  the
symbolic link?

I hate to be such a nuisance but I am now completely at sea.

Regards
--schremmer