[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:05:52 CET 2007

Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Finally, to Alain, regarding the editor, in case you don't have
> TextWrangler you can simply use pico. pico is a stand-alone version of
> the text editor of the pine mail reader, and it's "intuitive"- enough
> to use (on second thought, I think pico in OS X points actually to
> nano, a GNU clone of pico -- those physicists, they just couldn't
> resist ;-).
>
> Simply type in Terminal, using MacTeX as an example:
>
> sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> then use Ctrl-V to move down screen-by-screen until you reach the
> desired part (you can also use the DownArrow key to move down line-by-
> line):
>
> % Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
> % (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
> % a (any) : any file can be opened.
> % r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
> % p (paranoid) : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
> % restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
> openout_any = p
> openin_any = a
>
> then modify the openout_any setting as required, and then type in
> Ctrl-O to save and Ctrl-X to quit.
>
> The bad thing is that texmf.cnf will be overwritten each time TeX is
> updated, so that you'll have to redo your modification each time.
> Actually it's simpler with gwTeX, as installed by i-Installer: at each
> update, I think, i-Installer detects the local /usr/local/gwTeX/
> texmf.cnf has been changed and offers to save a copy on your Desktop
> (with the date appended at the end of the name) before performing the
> update. Then you'll simply have to merge back your modifications after
> the update.
>
> Hope this helps,

Before I risk my life in the terminal and/or let Dyballa cross the ocean
on his recumbent bike—although I would really like to see the latter, I
should mention that I just installed GWTeX with the i-installer over a
two year old i-installer installation.

In fact, I would rather re-install GWTeX rather than mess with the
terminal. Yes, that's terminal all right isn't it? But, I think, the
issue is really to un-install the old teTeX installation which, if I
believe the first two lines of what I quoted of the console

    No file 049.aux
    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmt.tetex/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmt.tetex/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex

would seem to indicate. By the way, the portable is an old G3 400 MHz
that I use only for the magnum opus (when away from home, in the
evenings after construction work) and so I would have no problem wiping
it clean and re-installing everything = 10.3.9 + TeXShop + GWTeX + Intaglio.

And, also, I happen to have SubEthaEdit. Would that do for an editor?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer