[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Mar 21 14:37:33 CET 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> How do I change the "writing permission for its directory"?
>
> Very hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Hopefully that's the problem since it's easy to change.

Click on the folder and do a File->Get Info (Cmd-I). Open the
Ownership & Permissions disclosure triangle. There is a drop down
menu with your permissions. If you need group information open the
Details disclosure triangle.

Never understood why the execute permissions weren't on that tab but
maybe they were afraid it would confuse folks.

By the way, there is also a Locked check box on the get info window
for files and folders so make sure that isn't checked. It's yet
another way of locking a folder/file from changes. I remember helping
someone who couldn't throw anything on his desktop in the trash and
it turned out his Desktop folder had Locked checked.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)