[OS X TeX] latexmk-style methods comparison

Joachim Kock jkock at start.no
Fri Mar 16 07:46:32 CET 2007

>I understand (but I may be wrong) that there are several methods
>around to run latex a sufficient number of times, both the dvi-ps-pdf
>route (i.e., pstricks compatible) and the direct pdf route. I guess
>that most of them stem from the death of the original Latexmk.
>
>Is it possible to compare on the list all the different available
>methods available?

Hello,

Alpha quickly scans the logfile after each tex run to determine exactly
what needs to be done next.  Depending on a preference setting, this action
can take place automatically, or semi-automatically which means that the
space key is dynamically bound to taking the nextAction, so that you can
just sit and slap the space bar.  The last slap (when there are no more
undefined cites or refs) will take you to the viewer, and here you can
just continue slapping the space key to page through the document.

I have regularly described this system on this mailing list.  Most
detailed when the system was introduced, on 2004-01-20 and on
2004-03-24, and again on 2004-12-22 and 2005-09-30.

Cheers,
Joachim.

PS: I am embarrassed that each time I write to this list it is about
Alpha, but it is the only aspect of tex-on-osx I have any expertise on.