[OS X TeX] ps-to-pdf and dvi-to-pdf methods comparison

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Fri Mar 16 01:56:36 CET 2007

Hi,

is it possible to compare on the list all the different available
methods available to convert dvi to pdf (indirectly through ps, i.e.,
compatible with pstricks) and ps to pdf, including the ones that do
it at pre-press quality? Which are the suggested ones according to
possibly different needs?

Already in the TeX Live distribution there are several different
scripts to achieve this, and of course one could use gs as well.

Currently for my pre-press productions I use:

dvips -Ppdf -G0 file.dvi -o file.ps ;
gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -
dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode -dAutoFilterGrayImages=false -
dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode -sOutputFile=file.pdf file.ps

cheers
--e.