[OS X TeX] Ii2 gwTeX tug.org Feedback Message?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 15 15:57:24 CET 2007

Le 15 mars 07 à 14:14, AJG Baeumel a écrit :

> Thursday,
> March 15, 2007 at 14:03 +0000 wrote:
>> Could you provide more indications on what it is you are trying to
>> do?
>
> +01: iiVersion 2.88 (2.88)
> +02: ii2->i-Package->Open Updated Packages
> +03: gwTeX based on TeX Live -Window
> +04: Install & Configure
> +05: Remote Package is more recent- feedback message:
> The remote package is newer. Press Cancel to cancel the current action
> (updating is currently not possible: read-only package, locked
> package or
> network access turned off) or press Ignore to try to go ahead
> anyway (not
> recommended). Note that the current Ignore action only pertains to the
> availability of files for the selector phase. It is only after the
> selection has been made that i-Installer knows what is actually
> needed for
> an install.
> If after the selection of what to install it turns out that all
> necessary
> files are available, installation will commence. If not, the
> Install will
> be aborted.

So I guess that that part of the text above :

> The remote package is newer. Press Cancel to cancel the current action
> (updating is currently not possible: read-only package, locked
> package or
> network access turned off) or press Ignore to try to go ahead
> anyway (not
> recommended). Note that the current Ignore action only pertains to the
> availability of files for the selector phase. It is only after the
> selection has been made that i-Installer knows what is actually
> needed for
> an install.
> If after the selection of what to install it turns out that all
> necessary
> files are available, installation will commence. If not, the
> Install will
> be aborted.

is the copy of a warning that i-Installer displays in a popup window
when you press Install & Configure, and that this is what you mean by
"feedback message". This wasn't clear at all in your original message.

In any case the answer is what Alex Hamann just wrote: press "Update
Self from Remote" before "Install & Configure".

Why is this so:

- The i-Package (here texlive.ii2), either Remote or Self, does not
contain gwTeX itself. gwTeX is stored as a set of archives texlive.
1.tar.bz2, texlive.2.tar.bz2 in the distant repository (for you the
TUG one, I think), each of which corresponds to different parts of
the gwTeX tree. The i-Package contains a set of scripts, allowing you
to select what will be installed and to define which configuration
will be performed after the installation. Based on your selection, at
install time the appropriate subset of archives is downloaded (and
put invisibly inside the i-Package), then installed and configured.

- Now imagine you were performing the installation using an obsolete
i-Package stored on your hard drive: given the archives in the
distant repository are up-to-date, with the obsolete i-Package you
would select a set of archives not corresponding to the actual
content of the repository, or try to perform configuration actions
which may not work with them.

Hence the warning, and the necessity to perform two separate actions
in sequence: Update, then Install & Configure.

Bruno Voisin