[OS X TeX] TeXLive and harvard.sty

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Fri Mar 9 15:20:43 CET 2007

At 12:16 AM -0600 3/9/07, Jeffrey Roland wrote:
>I think you're right.
>
>No matter whether I put the \bibliographystyle{x} command of your
>sample in the preamble, immediately after the \begin{document}
>command, or immediately before the \bibliography{x} command,
>everything works fine.
>
>With my document, things work fine if I put the
>\bibliographystyle{x} command immediately after the \begin{document}
>command.  Also no problem if I place it immediately before the
>\bibliography{x} command (at least not now--this is where it was
>when I first posed my question because my \citeyear parentheses were
>missing).  However, if I put the bibliographystyle{x} command in my
>preamble, I get the following error message when I run BibTeX: "I
>found no \bibstyle command---while reading file
>CohNatMath3.8.07.aux".
>
>So something isn't quite right, but I'll be damned if I know what it
>is.  Any ideas?

One thing that I've noticed with the  TeX Live distribution is that
it is much pickier about where in the directory structure it looks
for bibtex related files. So make sure (i) that you have the
following folder structure inside ~/Library/texmf:

bibtex/bib (bibtex databases here)
bibtex/bst (bibliography styles here)

It is not sufficient to put either bib files or bst files just in the
bibtex folder. Perhaps this is the problem. (Although I'm not sure
that that would account for the behaviour you describe.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491