[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX newbie questions

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Wed Mar 7 11:33:40 CET 2007

Hi

Although I have been using (pdf)latex for many years, I am new to
XeLaTeX.

I am co-writing a little brochure in mathematics for elementary
school teachers (in Portuguese), and I wanted to produce the output
straight from my LaTeX sources (rather than having someone totally
unknowledgeable mangle all the content in Quark).

The editors have been sensitive to my plea, and are to give me the
layout and font requirements, so that I can adjust my code.

I have been experimenting with XeLaTeX for that, because I thought it
might make the use of the required fonts easier.

My first try was scaring: most characters with diacritical marks
appeared wrong (such as the tilde in "ã" striking through the letter,
and the "í" not appearing at all). Worse still, any LaTeX style
markup, like \emph{...}, would produce only *red* garbage!

I finally *somewhat* got it to work, by modifying the xelatex
engine,  to use "xelatex -no-pdf" to produce a xdv file, and then
use  "xdvipfmx" (rather than, I believe, xdv2pdf) to produce the pdf.
I can now have readable output, but I am still confused, as it seems
that these weird things ought not to happen (by the way, I tried both
with texlive2007 and the latest gwtex); and I'm not sure how to match
the text and math fonts in a systematic way.

I would be grateful for any recommendations - in particular, of good
documentation, which I have been unable to find.

TIA

Luis Sequeira