[OS X TeX] Texlive-mac os

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 7 09:10:46 CET 2007

Le 7 mars 07 à 07:00, Javier Elizondo a écrit :

> I was able to delete teTex, and install texlive (mac
> tex 2007). But when I run beamerexample1.tex it goes
> to problems in the last page. This is what it comes
> out

> <beamericonarticle.eps> [76] (./beamerexample1.toc)
> [77] [78] [79]
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <recently read> \rowcolors
>
> l.937 \end{frame}
>
> ?
>
> I run this file in a linux computer and it was running
> smoothly, in fact, I run this file with teTex and it
> was OK. Does anyone knows if there are problems, bugs,
>  with the new version of texlive besides this?.
> Perhaps it is better to go back to teTex!. I do know
> if I should install beamer directly in texlive again,
> it comes with the package. This is the example than
> comes with the instalation in order to try if the
> package is installed in a correct way.

This is because teTeX and TeXLive include different versions of the
xcolor package, called implicitly by beamer and defining (not in all
cases) the command \rowcolors:

- teTeX includes version 2.00 of 4 July 2004, and \rowcolors is
always defined.

- TeXLive-2007 includes version 2.11 of 21 January 2007, and
\rowcolors is defined only when the option [table] is specified,
apparently.

Hence, in order for beamerexample1.tex to typeset with TeXLive-2007,
you need to modify it to call the beamer package with option [table],
so that this option is passed on to xcolor.

I don't know whether there is a dedicated beamer mailing list (or a
bug report system somewhere), given I'm no beamer user myself, but if
there is then it could be appropriate to report the problem there.

Generally, if you're in a rush and don't have time to devote to such
compatibility problem (and have loads of disk space), you can install
teTeX using i-Installer (ignoring the warning about it being
deprecated). The TeX Distribution system pref panel which is
installed by MacTeX allows very easy switching between several
installed distributions. Using teTeX is not a viable strategy in the
long term, but it may help when you're in a work crisis and have more
pressing issues to deal with than TeX ones.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin