[OS X TeX] APA formatting

brian at pongonova.net brian at pongonova.net
Sat Mar 3 19:22:59 CET 2007

Situation: I'm working on my dissertation (using TeX, of course). We
use a minimal subset of APA style (mainly the headers and cite
formats).  apacite works well for the biblio side of things, no
problems there.

Quandary: I'm debating whether it would be easier for me to simply
modify the section and chapter macros (I guess I could override them
in my own .sty file), or try to use the apa style.  The author of that
style offers up this bit of advice:

"In particular, apa.cls is *NOT* appropriate for your thesis; don't
even consider using it for that purpose."

I have some experience dealing with LaTeX macros, so I'm not averse to
rolling my own if necessary.  I'm interested in hearing from others
who may have already gone down this road or might have some insights.

Of course, any pointers to an existing APA-style dissertation template
would be welcome as well!

  --Brian