[OS X TeX] Installing "MacTeXtras" using MacPorts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Mar 3 14:50:15 CET 2007

Am 03.03.2007 um 12:15 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Regarding the conversion you mention, it's unclear to me which
> conversion you refer to. There used to be font conversion, namely
> conversion of the Latin Modern fonts to .otf format (possibly
> packaged as Mac .dmg suitcases, I don't remember) and installation
> of the result inside /Library/Fonts/Latin Modern. But (i) the
> conversion used FontForge not GhostScript and (ii) it's not
> happening anymore and instead the original .otf Latin Modern fonts
> part of the Latin Modern distribution are used directly.

This conversion or need for gs happened years before, 2004? Then i-
Installer worked so fine, I did not have to save any installation
report, so I can't tell more details (backups are empty, too). I do
remember one thing: something during installation went better or in
addition when I placed a sym-link from Fink's gs into /usr/local/bin,
to mimique the state of an installed Ghostscript i-Package. Since
then the gs sym-link is active, so I did not find again a missing
Ghostscript "installation."

Ghostscript is anyway an useful utility. It is helpful for
conversions or extraction of text off PS or PDF files. For this
reason it won't make a difference where it is installed as long as it
can be found in the search path.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.