[OS X TeX] Installing "MacTeXtras" using MacPorts

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 23:10:53 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:38:04PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >The only thing missing is fontdu.
>
> Its name is fondu.

Thanks. http://www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html says
fontdu, which I presume is an error. _fondu_ is in MacPorts.

> >I'd be very grateful for advice on what, if any, problems this
> >method of installation will create.
>
> Some routines in i-Installer are dead-sure that gs is in /usr/local/
> bin and nowhere else to find – so you better be more flexible and
> create a sym-link!

OK, but I'm not using i-Installer (the TeXLive tree is just copied
straight into /usr/local without package receipts, etc.), so I guess
that doesn't matter?

> >What will I be missing by not having access to fontdu?
>
> Not much: it just helps to retrieve the actual PostScript font from a
> font file's resource fork. But these fonts have become rare ...
> (they're rather Classic ones)

Thanks very much.

-- Mike