[OS X TeX] Installing "MacTeXtras" using MacPorts

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 12:56:42 CET 2007

Hi,

It seems MacTeX has settled down sufficiently for us normal users to
install. I'd like to do this by downloading MacTeX.dmg from
http://www.tug.org/mactex/ and using it to install only TeXLive and the
preference pane.

This is because I intend to make my own arrangements for front end GUI
applications, and I prefer to use MacPorts to manage installation (and,
importantly, uninstallation!) of Unix tools, since it's what I already
use for the rest of my system.

Sections (d) - (e)
of http://www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html list the Unix
tools MacTeX installs by default. It appears that I will be able to
install most of these through MacPorts if I find that I need them:

otis:~$ port search freetype imagemagick ghostscript gettext libwmf fontforge
freetype                       print/freetype 2.1.10       A software font engine
ImageMagick                    graphics/ImageMagick 6.3.2-4      Tools and libraries to manipulate images in many formats
ghostscript                    print/ghostscript 8.54         AFPL Ghostscript, An interpreter for PostScript and PDF
gplghostscript                 print/gplghostscript 8.50         GPL Ghostscript, An interpreter for PostScript and PDF
gettext                        devel/gettext  0.16.1       GNU gettext package
libwmf                         graphics/libwmf 0.2.8.4      Library for converting WMF (Window Metafile Format) files
fontforge                      graphics/fontforge 20061220     Outline and bitmap font editor/converter for many formats

The only thing missing is fontdu. I'd be very grateful for advice on
what, if any, problems this method of installation will create. For
example, does anything expect to find these tools in /usr/local/? What
will I be missing by not having access to fontdu? Does MacPorts interact
badly with the modifications to /etc/profile and manpath.conf?

Thanks,

-- Mike