[OS X TeX] Fwd: XeLaTeX: equation falsch dargestellt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jun 30 00:01:33 CEST 2007

On 29 Jun 2007, at 10:39 pm, Joanna Ludmiła Ryćko wrote:

> > xdvipdfmx -v -E test.xdv
> DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2007.06.29:2309
> test.xdv -> test.pdf
> [1<cmr10 at 10.91pt
> ** ERROR ** Unable to find TFM file "cmr10".
> Output file removed.

Is xdvipdfmx also being found in /usr/bin or similar, rather than
within TeXLive? That would explain why it also fails to find font files.

>> This is the xdv2pdf driver complaining that it can't find
>> psfonts.map. Could it be that you have multiple versions of the
>> binaries or the texmf.cnf file in different places, and the wrong
>> ones are being found? What does "which xdv2pdf" report?
>
> THAT'S IT! Thanks!...
>
> Well... I found some old files in my /usr/bin. Now I removed them
> and it looks better. I can produce a correct pdf file (although
> with cm fonts, not with Hoefler), even if I still get some errors:
> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
> specification.
> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
> specification.
> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
> specification.

Yes, these warnings are normal (but annoying) -- something changed
between OS X 10.3 and 10.4 that caused it to start complaining about
the way xdv2pdf uses these fonts. (If you run xetex from a front end
such as TeXShop you don't see them, they only go to the system log
file.)

> (It runs only with this cm-default option of the fontenc package)
>
> In my /usr/bin there are some more old tex binaries, but I am not
> able to recognize, which should I delete to get a clean system :(

If you're running TeX Live, I don't think you should need any tex-
related binaries in /usr/bin; everything needed should be in /usr/
local/texlive/2007/bin/{powerpc|i386}-darwin/ or something like that.
Or if you installed via one of the Mac packages such as MacTeX or i-
Installer (I think), /usr/texbin should also be a link to this.

Another possibility would be to modify your PATH (in /etc/profile
or .profile or wherever it's being set) so that the TeX Live binary
directory comes before /usr/bin; then TeX Live's versions will be
preferred.

> One more thing: I do have the Latin Modern fonts installed on my
> Mac (as my user fonts), I'm not sure if I understand it correctly,
> that they will be used to typeset the math in the document, if I
> used the option lm-default.

I think so, but because of the way fontspec.sty loads the LM fonts,
this will only work if you use the xdvipdfmx driver, not with (the
default) xdv2pdf.

> But that, what I was trying to typeset, as you saw, was really
> simple math – it's rather symbolic (letters), there are no complex
> characters, so it would be lovely to have them in Hoefler Text, not
> in cm.

It's probably possible to tell fontspec to do this, but I'm not sure
of the details (as I don't generally do math typesetting). Someone on
the xetex mailing list may be able to give more information.

> PS: It's a bit embarassing for me to write about my little problem
> to three mailing lists parallel. Sorry for that!

No problem! :) I'm sorry for the frustration you've had, and hope
things will go better from here onwards.

JK