[OS X TeX] problem with \usepackage{times}

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 10:28:50 CEST 2007

Le 21 juin 07 à 09:07, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 21 Jun 2007, at 12:48 am, Raymond N. Greenwell wrote:
>
>> I recently got a new iMac and am now running OS 10.4.9. My old
>> TeXShop from my old iMac (running 10.3.9) no longer worked, so I
>> downloaded the TeXShop and TeX Live package MacTeX-2007, and I'm
>> now running TeXShop 2.10beta8. All is well except for the command
>> \usepackage{times}, which gives the error message: "*** font
>> ptmr7t not found in psfonts.map or host system; will substitute
>> Helvetica glyphs".
>
> This sounds like it's coming from the XeLaTeX engine; you must have
> chosen this rather than regular LaTeX, and it is unable to use the
> "virtual fonts" associated with the "times" (or "mathptmx")
> packages, unless you also configure it to use the xdvipdfmx output
> driver.
>
> Assuming you wanted standard LaTeX behavior, just be sure that is
> the "engine" selected in the TeXShop menus.
>
> If you did want to try XeLaTeX, for access to more of your Mac's
> fonts, then you should use the {fontspec} package to choose fonts,
> rather than old-style packages like {times}. The fontspec
> documentation (see fontspec.pdf in the texlive package; e.g., enter
> "texdoc fontspec" in the Terminal) gives lots of information and
> examples.

Another possibility you may have is related to encodings: \usepackage
{times} or \usepackage{mathptmx} is not enough, you must load the
package fontenc with appropriate option. See /Library/TeX/
Documentation/texmf-dist-doc/latex/psnfss/psnfss2e.pdf.

Specifically: use either

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}

or

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}

Personally I favour the second variant.

In order for this to work with XeLaTeX, you must take another
precaution as Jonathan mentioned: use xdvipdfmx as the XDVI-to-PDF
translator (XDVI -- extended DVI -- is XeTeX's native output format),
instead of the default xdv2pdf. How to do this with TeXShop:

- Move your old ~/Library/TeXShop/ elsewhere.

- Launch TeXShop: it will create a new ~/Library/TeXShop/ afresh.

- Quit TeXShop.

- Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/ and move XeTeX-
xdvipdfmx.engine and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine to ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines/.

- Launch TeXShop again: in the Engines pull-down menu in the toolbar,
there will be two new engines XeTeX-xdvipdfmx and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.

- Merge back any possible customization you might have done in the
old ~/Library/TeXShop/ to the new one.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin