[OS X TeX] problem with \usepackage{times}

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 21 09:07:37 CEST 2007

On 21 Jun 2007, at 12:48 am, Raymond N. Greenwell wrote:

> I recently got a new iMac and am now running OS 10.4.9. My old
> TeXShop from my old iMac (running 10.3.9) no longer worked, so I
> downloaded the TeXShop and TeX Live package MacTeX-2007, and I'm
> now running TeXShop 2.10beta8. All is well except for the command
> \usepackage{times}, which gives the error message: "*** font ptmr7t
> not found in psfonts.map or host system; will substitute Helvetica
> glyphs".

This sounds like it's coming from the XeLaTeX engine; you must have
chosen this rather than regular LaTeX, and it is unable to use the
"virtual fonts" associated with the "times" (or "mathptmx") packages,
unless you also configure it to use the xdvipdfmx output driver.

Assuming you wanted standard LaTeX behavior, just be sure that is the
"engine" selected in the TeXShop menus.

If you did want to try XeLaTeX, for access to more of your Mac's
fonts, then you should use the {fontspec} package to choose fonts,
rather than old-style packages like {times}. The fontspec
documentation (see fontspec.pdf in the texlive package; e.g., enter
"texdoc fontspec" in the Terminal) gives lots of information and
examples.

JK