[OS X TeX]

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Jun 13 10:05:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

Papers, an app for managing scientific papers, has already been
discussed on this list. Version 1.1 has just been released and since
one of the touted features of this update is "much improved BibTeX
support", I thought you might be interested in some first impressions.

It's true that BibTeX import has been improved - more data from
the .bib file is now interpreted properly -, but in the end the app
is still useless für BibTeX/LaTeX. Basically, Papers only knows about
journal articles and all fields it doesn't know just get ignored. For
example, in incollection entries, there's still no 'editor' or
'bookauthor'. Keywords seem to get ignored completely. If you import
and afterward export bibtex files, all this information is lost which
results in a crippled bibtex file.

So the verdict is the same: This app is useless for BibTeX/LaTeX in
its current form, and I'm a bit surprised that Papers and not BibDesk
got an Apple Design Award.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick