[OS X TeX] Man pages for latex installation

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Jun 11 17:58:30 CEST 2007

At 10:40 AM -0500 6/11/07, Chris Goedde wrote:
>On Jun 11, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>>For some reason the man command doesn't seem to find any man pages
>>for binaries in my TeX installation, either gwTeX or TeX Live.
>
>I believe that this was discussed about a year ago, in this thread:
>http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2006-July/023572.html
>(if you follow that link, just click on "thread" and you can follow
>the discussion).
>
>The tex installers install the binaries in /usr/local/bin and the
>man pages in /usr/local/man, but Mac OS X is set up to have the man
>pages in /usr/local/share/man. There are various solutions to this
>(discussed in that thread); the one I chose was to move the man
>pages to /usr/local/share/man. If you do that, then everything just
>works and you don't have to edit any configuration files. I think
>there's a solution via editing .cshrc, .login, or man.conf but I
>haven't tried any of those.

Thanks, Chris.  I remember reading this thread, and see that I
modified my man.conf file in  the following way:

I have the following lines (in addition to the default associations)

MANPATH /usr/local/man

and

MANPATH_MAP	/usr/local/bin		/usr/local/man

yet things still don't work.

I would prefer to use the man.conf solution than moving the man files
themselves, since any new additions to /usr/local would need to be
moved manually, which is just another thing to remember. So perhaps
those who have taken the man.conf solution to the problem could weigh
in here on what I've done wrong.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491