[OS X TeX] Unexpected quotation marks

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Sat Jun 9 21:59:12 CEST 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Robert Spence wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure it's just an aesthetic flaw... more of a conceptual
>> one.  If the idea was to avoid having opening and closing quotes a
>> different shape, why opt for a shape that makes everyone say
>> "those aren't double opening quotes, those are two apostrophes" or
>> something similar? i.e., why choose a "closing" shape rather than
>> a straight up-and-down one?  Apart from the issue of the quotation
>> marks, Palatino is a remarkable font---everything looks
>> chiselled---really sharp and clear.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> If you look carefully you'll notice that the opening and closing
> quotes are NOT the same shape in Palatino. The fact that the slant
> is the same is really what makes the opening quote look so ugly to
> my eyes.

I honestly don't understand what is so unattractive about the
quotes.  To my undiscerning eye, they fit well with the general
design of the font, and like every other font I've used, the commas
look like the double quotes which look like the single quotes which
look like apostrophes.  Perhaps the big end of the comma does not
stand out as much as in other fonts, but I can definitely see the
difference.  I guess that Palatino is a font that looks better
printed than on screen.

I never use palatino myself, to don't take this as a flame from the
PLF (Palatino Liberation Front).