[OS X TeX] Linotype Palatino

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri Jun 8 05:12:11 CEST 2007

On  7 Jun, 2007, at 16:01, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  7 Jun, 2007, at 14:54, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> So is there a way to insure that my grant application will be
>> typeset in Linotype Palatino
>
> As has been said, the copyright of Palatino belongs to Linotype, so
> using Mac's Palatino (System 9 or System X installed) you will be
> using Linotype Palatino, but in your original post you said
> _Palatino Linotype_ ---that's a different family (also, obviously,
> copyrighted by Linotype)

I finally managed to install palatinox (.sty, metrics, etc.) in
MikTeX (Virtual PC with Windows XP). With

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{palatinox}
\begin{document}
Prueba de Palatino.
\end{document}

Adobe Reader identifies the font as PalatinoLinotype-Roman.

In XeTeX, with

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Palatino}
\begin{document}
Prueba de Palatino.
\end{document}

Adobe Reader identifies the font as Palatino-Roman.

I would say the difference between Palatino Linotype and Palatino is
as between Minion Pro and Minion ---a richer set in the former.

Best,

Axel