[OS X TeX] Linotype Palatino

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Thu Jun 7 18:13:54 CEST 2007

On 7 Jun, 2007, at 10:38, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> [...]

> Are you absolutely sure Palatino doesn't come with OS X (at least
> Tiger 10.4.9). According to Font Book, it does, is Linotype
> Palatino and is installed in /Library/Fonts:
>
> Nom PostScript	Palatino-Roman
> Nom complet	Palatino
> Famille	Palatino
> Style	Regular
> Type	TrueType
> Langue	français, anglais, danois, néerlandais, finnois, allemand,
> italien, bokmål norvégien, portugais, espagnol, suédois
> Version	3.8
> Emplacement	/Library/Fonts/Palatino
> Nom unique	Palatino; 3.8; 2006-02-23
> Copyright	Copyright © 1991-99, 2006 Apple Computer, Inc. Copyright
> © 1991-92 Type Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
> Marque déposée	Palatino est une marque déposée de Linotype AG

This is weird! Here is mine:

PostScript name	Palatino-Roman
	Full name	Palatino
	Family	Palatino
	Style	Regular
	Kind	TrueType
	Language	English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, German,
Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Finnish
	Version	3.5a3
	Location	/System Folder/Fonts/Palatino
	Unique name	Apple Computer Palatino
	Copyright	© 1991-99 Apple Computer, Inc. © 1991-92 Type Solutions, Inc.
	Trademark	Palatino is a registered trademark of Linotype AG
	Enabled	Yes
	Duplicate	No

The same in both machines (PowerPC). As you see, my Palatino is in /
System Folder/Fonts/ (i.e., OS 9). I have always installed everything
in system installs, even languages I will never use. So I really
can't guess why OS X didn't install Palatino in my case.

Now ---Windows Palatino is called Palatino Linotype, not just
Palatino (I know because I have Virtual PC in my desktop); it's a
more complete set ---it has small caps, Cyrillic, etc.; does yours?

See

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?
FID=253&FNAME=Palatino+Linotype

(reload if nothing comes out at first try)

and the purchase link at the bottom:

http://www.linotype.com/57056/palatinolinotype-family.html

where they have the nerve to say

> Especially suitable for Office Applications running in MS Windows

Would Prof. Zapf be thinking in Word when he created this font?

OK ---they say ``especially suitable...'', not ``especially
crafted...'', but, anyway, that's cheap!

Best,

Axel