[OS X TeX] Linotype Palatino

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Thu Jun 7 04:37:56 CEST 2007

Dear Michael,

On 07 Jun 2007, at 01:32 , Michael Kubovy wrote:

> I've never even tried XeLaTeX. I would appreciate a guide for the
> perplexed.

... will you settle for a guide _by_ one of the perplexed?

First:
Do you have any fancy stuff in your document, e.g. things done with
pstricks, or phonetic symbols, etc.?

If not, why not just try the following as the basis of your preamble:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xunicode,fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont{Palatino}

If your TeX distribution is a fairly recent one, then you probably
already have everything you need for a XeLaTeX run.  Either check to
see whether there's an appropriate item on the pulldown typesetting
menu of TeXShop, or else just open the Terminal and do
cd <path_to_my_grant_application_directory>
then
xelatex '-output-driver=xdvipdfmx -q -E'
<my_grant_application_tex_sourcefile>

It should "just work".  If it doesn't, you can get more help either
on this list or on the XeTeX list (xetex at tug.org).

Basically, if your source file compiles with LaTeX, then it should
also compile with XeLaTeX.

Good luck!
-- Rob Spence
Dr. Robert Spence