[OS X TeX] PDFKit

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 4 07:43:23 CEST 2007

Le 4 juin 07 à 05:42, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :

> On Jun 3, 2007, at 20:17, Richard Koch wrote:
>
>> However, I suspect that PDFKit is not to blaim because I can crash
>> TeXShop 1.49, which does not use PDFKit, but of course does use
>> Apple's PDF imaging software.
>
> Looks like a crash in the lower level Quartz stuff that PDFKit is
> built upon.  Definitely worth a bug report (although as Roberto
> pointed out, that PDF was written by an Apple engineer).

As an aside, based on that message from some weeks ago:

> De : Joe Chan
> Date : 24 avril 2007 01:39:07 HAEC
> À : MacOSX-TeX
> Objet : Rép : [OS X TeX] xelatex bookmarks don't work in Preview.app
>
> About the PDF bookmark issue with xdv2pdf, I posted a message to
> the Cocoa-dev list and actually got a reply from the PDFKit
> engineer. I sent the sample to him and it does work in Leopard.
> This is his reply:
>
>> The PDF you attached does indeed work. in Leopard.  Thanks for
>> sending it.
>>
>> For Tiger, I can think of no obvious workaround using PDF Kit
>> itself.  In Tiger I relied upon some CoreGraphics SPI and it
>> didn't even look for action attributes.  The code migrated out of
>> CG and into PDF Kit for Leopard so I took direct control.  The PDF
>> spec is big and always changing so PDF Kit is probably always
>> going to represent a subset.  Generally that hasn't been too huge
>> a problem since we try to at the very least cover the 99% cases —
>> and in fact in the "real world" Outline's with Actions are the
>> exception.

> Joe Chan

I imagine we should expect to see a few changes in PDF rendering in
Leopard. So maybe that bug will be cured as well.

Consequence 2: maybe a "bug report" to Cocoa-dev would bring the
problem to the attention of those who can do something about it. I'm
not a member of that list, but in case somebody here are...

Bruno Voisin