[OS X TeX] converting crossref

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Jul 22 19:21:57 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 08:30 , Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 08:05, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> On Jul 22, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a number of incollection entries in my bibliography which
>>> have been created with crossrefs.
>>> Now I ran into the problem that jurabib.bst offers a certain
>>> formating options for incollection items which apparently do not
>>> work if there is a crossref (I am referring to the edby option).
>>> Is there an easy way to convert all the incollections with
>>> crossrefs to incollections without crossrefs? Just deleting the
>>> crossref field for all of them will not do it since that will
>>> cause the loss of the information from the parent item.
>>>

>> This sounds like something that a search and replace with regular
>> expressions should be able to do easily, but since I don't know
>> how the entries before and after the conversion should look like I
>> can't really offer more precise suggestions. Could you post some
>> "before" and "after" examples?
>
> You'd need to do it with AppleScript, since the child item only has
> a pointer (crossref) to its parent for certain fields.  So you can
> have
[snip]

This may not help, but I offer it as an alternative: I have several
bibtex files, in particular one for books, one for papers.  For
papers in proceedings and the like, I use "\cite{Blat}" as the book
title.  While BibDesk does not display the entry correctly (not being
able to relate the citation to anything in the file), it seems to
work fine in practice (of course, I have to have both files
referenced in the bibliography spec, and run bibtex a few more
times :-}).

For example:

@incollection{ArtinNeron,
         Address = {New York},
         Author = {Artin, M.},
         Booktitle = {\cite{CorSilAG}},
         Date-Modified = {2007-04-18 20:51:32 -0700},
         Mrclass = {11G10},
         Mrnumber = {MR861977},
         Pages = {213--230},
         Publisher = {Springer},