[OS X TeX] Compile using different programs?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 19 22:16:45 CEST 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 21:14, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am curious if there's any differences when compiling using
> Fink-teTeX, gwTeX, and TeXLive?
>
> I tried compiling an article using the above three, and "seemed" to
> see different spacing by these three. But that might just be an
> artifact due to the redrawing of the screen, or different versions of
> packages, which I didn't further check.
>
> When given the same packages, will these three program give identical
> results? Just curious.

Q: are you using microtype in this document? If yes, then the
different versions of pdftex will act differently. Some LaTeX
packages will behave differently, and have undergone major changes
since teTeX wasn't considered antique. Geometry is one of them, and
this will cause shifts and margins.

If you want to be sure: produce a high-res bitmap (using dvipng) and
then subtract those images using imagemagik.

Maarten