[OS X TeX] i-installer packages

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Sat Jul 7 22:49:21 CEST 2007

Nathan,

The main two drawbacks are---

-Can't reinstall from "scratch" if there's a problem with whatever it
is you've installed from; and

- I think but, I am not sure: you can't use i-installer app to check
to see if your i-packages are up to date, because there would be
nothing on disk to compare the copy in the remote location with.

- I also think, but I am not sure: if you wanted to uninstall, you
couldn't, because the i-installer wouldn't know what you've put in.
(Maybe it uses some log that's not associated with the package
itself; but it makes sense that the package would be required to
uninstall.)

Actually, I am hoping that someone who knows more than me will step
in and correct me or confirm me here.

-Adam

On Jul 7, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	A quick question.  I am using GW's i-installer set-up for my tex
> distribution, and it works perfectly well for me.  In a fit of
> drive-cleaning, however, I noted that the i-packages directory in
> my Documents folder is taking up about half a GB of space.
>
> 	Is there any/what harm is there in deleting the ipackages in that
> directory?
>
> Thanks,
> -Nathan
> ----------
> Nathan A. Paxton
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Dept. of Government, Harvard University
>
> Resident Tutor
> John Winthrop House, Harvard University
>
> napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
> http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
> When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in
> a perpetual state of homesickness.
>         - Ronald Reagan
>
> The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
>         -Coco Chanel

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
amgoldstein <at> mac <dot> com
http://homepage.mac.com/amgoldstein