[OS X TeX] Translating LaTeX to Quark or InDesign

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 3 18:32:22 CEST 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> MS surely isn't worried about pleasing the like of me. It cannot
> but be after the big publishing business.

If Microsoft were interested in the typesetting end of publishing,
then Microsoft Publisher would have more than 4 kerning options. If
typography were easy, Microsoft Word wouldn't be the foetid mess
which it is.

All Microsoft is interested in is mainstream tools which can be sold
to the masses at a profit --- anything which they do is intended
solely to keep this aspect of their business going.

They purchase a cross-platform free-form drawing tool w/ interesting
stroke technology? It becomes a user-interface design tool.

They pay Lucas deGroot to create typefaces including math sorts and
work up a technology for typesetting mathematics? It's to ensure that
Microsoft Word can be widely used, hence sold.

No one, who has any real experience will use Word for more than
typing, and editing of any professional printed piece, its limits and
the bizarre interface difficulties all argue strongly for using a
professional tool like Quark, InDesign, Ventura Publisher, LaTeX,
XyVision &c.

&c.

William

--