[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 31 19:24:30 CET 2007

Folks,

With further Google work, I have discovered more about our papersize
problems. Please read Dvips: A DVI-to-PostScript Translator (for
version 5.96, January 2007, by Tomas Rokicki). You'll find this for
TeXLive-2007 via the command

	texdoc dvips

Go to page 20 (actually the 25th page) on "Paper size and landscape
orientation."

I haven't completely deciphered this information.  I want the experts
on the list to read the section and help decide what MacTeX's default
configuration should do. The choices are to use the current command
alone:

	texconfig-sys paper a4

or else to use the pair

	texconfig-sys paper a4
	texconfig-sys dvips paper a4

(with similar code for letter paper). The first will put the "A4size"
option at the top of config.ps, and the second will put the "a4"
option there. Rokicki says this about the second of these choices,
which several of us advocated yesterday:

	"executing the 'letter' or 'a4' or other PostScript operators
	cause the document to be nonconforming
	and can cause it not to print on certain printers,
	so the default paper size should not execute such an
	operator if at all possible."

Maybe this remark is not so important for us because documents will
be converted to pdf before being sent to the printer.

Help, experts!!!

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu