[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 21:38:30 CET 2007

Le 30 janv. 07 à 19:48, Richard Koch a écrit :

> This is asking a lot, but: it would be nice if you or someone could
> determine what dvips file is changed from after
>
> 	sudo texconfig-sys paper a4
>
> to after
>
> 	sudo texconfig-sys dvips paper a4

This is quite easy. When typing the first line, nothing happens. When
typing the second, a message says the config.ps in texmf-config has
been modified:

Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ sudo texconfig-sys paper a4
Password:
Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ sudo texconfig-sys dvips paper a4
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file `/usr/local/texlive/
2007/texmf-config/dvips/config/config.ps'

Looking at config.ps, what has been changed by texconfig-sys is that:

@ a4 594.99bp 841.99bp
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: a4
@+ a4
@+ %%EndPaperSize

has been moved on top on the paper size specification list, so that
this list begins with:

% 0 0 595 842 is the right bounding box that most applications expect
% for A4.  Since dvips always rounds up, choose something slightly
smaller.

@ a4 594.99bp 841.99bp
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: a4
@+ a4
@+ %%EndPaperSize

@ A4size 594.99bp 841.99bp
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%PaperSize: A4

> Ultimately I need to write to the folks maintaining TeXLive about
> this, but
> they are busy chasing down the final bugs, and it is mighty close
> to release
> time, so if I could give them something specific, it would help.

By the way, while you're at writing to the TeXLive maintainers, it
seems there are doc files affected by this problem within TeXLive
itself. If you look at the dvips doc /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/
doc/dvips/dvips.pdf, you'll se that the running head is next to the
top border of the page, as if there were no top margin at all. I
don't think this was intended.

Bruno