[OS X TeX] Changing texdoc behaviour

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Mon Jan 29 03:34:28 CET 2007

On Jan 28, 2007, at 20:01 , Alan Munn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently texdoc opens DVI files with TeXShop, PDF files with Adobe
> reader and PS files with Preview. I would like all three types of
> files to open in either Reader or Preview, since TeXShop has no
> simple way of expanding the preview window to the screen width. Is
> there a simple way to do this?  Setting the environment variable
> for TEXDOC_pdf to "open -a Preview.app %s" in my .cshrc didn't seem
> to change the behaviour at all, although the man page for texdoc
> says it should.

This is what I use in my .bash_profile (sorry, I don't know how to
configure it for the csh), thanks to Martin Costabel a few years ago:

export TEXDOCVIEW_dvi="open -a /Applications/TeXShop.app %s"
export TEXDOCVIEW_html="open -a /Applications/Safari.app %s"
export TEXDOCVIEW_ps="open -a /Applications/TeXShop.app %s"

I think the key is TEXDOCVIEW, instead of TEXDOC.

Best,

Axel