[OS X TeX] X11 and path questions

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 27 22:15:34 CET 2007

Am 27.01.2007 um 21:30 schrieb Stephen Moye:

> But if I query 'where latex' in X11 I get nothing. I'm using emacs
> under x11 so this is a problem. Can I put something in the .xinitrc

It won't change a thing ...

> or .tcshrc files to get X11's attention?

If you make xterm to launch a login shell (with -ls), as Terminal
does, then you won't need to change ~/.tcshrc. GNU Emacs might need
~/.emacs_tcsh with a 'set path=(...)' statement for the *shell*
buffer – but GNU Emacs itself won't have access to the same path
setting. You could try to set (setenv "PATH" ...) but the real thing
is to do all the work for X11.app, a Cocoa application, from which
all X clients inherit their process environment. And this goes via
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist ...

Emacs.app offers a simple programme, mac-fix-env, that creates
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist from a good environment, for example in
Terminal. And I can offer you my simple "Make X11 aware of TeX on a
Mac.app," which also adds some entries to the X11 applications menu
or sets DISPLAY in Terminal and other applications in Aqua (Carbon or
Cocoa) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
                               Albert Einstein