[OS X TeX] Creating a glossar

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 26 23:42:14 CET 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 4:21 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> I just had a TeX file open in TeXShop, having remembered some
> things – there seems to be everything already ready for you! There
> is the Macros menu and in it Claus Gerhardt's Macros, and one of
> those is bibtex!

Howdy,

The file name passed as $1 to the engine file includes the extension,
e.g., fname.tex, since the file you are editing is fname.tex. The
built-in BibTeX command in TeXShop strips the extension and runs
bibtex on the base name (after switching to the directory of the
source file):

bibtex fname

and then bibtex assumes it's the fname.aux file that is input. This
is NOT the case here.

> Obviously it's not so good to never use TeXShop for editing ...
>

> And you are editing in TeXShop the file myglossar.gls? Or another
> file for this purpose that has always the extension .gls? This is
> an important item, because in this case this part of Herb's engine
> script from two weeks ago
>
> 	"`basename "$1" .tex`"
>
> must not be used (it would fail, anyway).

Yes, but doing

bfname = "`basename "$1" .tex`"
bibtex "$bfname".gls

will do the right thing.

> (And the first part
>
> 	bfname=$(dirname "$1")/
>
> is also not necessary, since TeXShop only passes the file's name
> including its extension to a macro or engine script. The
> directory's name is contained in the environment variable $PWD.) ...

This is true but is harmless (it just returns .) and is left over
from when I didn't realize that the script was executed in the same
directory as the source file.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)