[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Fri Jan 26 11:46:30 CET 2007

Le 26 janv. 07 à 10:37, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> [...]

> Forget TeXShop! Dump it on the dung-hill of computer history!
>
> Of course you can complain on the Mac OS X TeX list, but Dick Koch
> does not seem to like a helpful design in TeXShop.
>
> And of course you can teach Emacs to understand the TeXShop syntax.
> Particularly AUCTeX could be taught to use the TS-program for
> compilation instead of
>
> 	%%% TeX-command-default: "<some engine file>"
>

> Would be interesting to now what other TeXing applications use to
> remember the file's mode and TeXing command – to which extent their
> imperialism has grown ...

texnicenter uses an external project (they planned to use an xml file)
itexmac2 uses an external project (specs are public and published)

The imperalism you mention is just a (not so bad) solution to a
(really bad) problem.
You should not blame TeXShop because this problem of TeX-command
metadata not only concerns TS users nor even OS X users, but TeX
users in general (except maybe lyx, textures and VTEX users...)

If you have suggestions, please join the MacTeX list, or contribute
to the mac os x tex sourceforge project.
The more we wait the more difficult it will be to convince people to
use new designs.

I personnally miss some merge of texexec and xcodebuild/*.xcodeproj
like design.