[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Fri Jan 26 03:49:52 CET 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> On Jan 25, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>>
>>> I just started using emacs 22.92 -- I have been using emacs
>>> 22.50. Unlike v22.50, when I open a TeXShop TeX file with emacs
>>> 22.92, it is opened as a PostScript file. I imagined that it had
>>> something to do with the first line of the file:
>>>
>>> 	%!TEX TS-program = latex
>>>
>>> Sure enough, I went digging using
>>>
>>> 	C-h v auto-mode-alist
>>>
>>> and found a line in files.el:
>>>
>>> 	("%![^V]" . ps-mode)
>>>
>>> in addition to what I expected:
>>>
>>> 	("\\.[tT]e[xX]\\'" . tex-mode)
>>>
>>> So emacs is looking inside the file to make a better guess about
>>> what kind of file it is. I tried changing
>>>
>>> 	("%![^V]" . ps-mode)

>>> 	("%![^VT]" . ps-mode)
>>>
>>> but that did not work.
>>>
>>> I really like emacs 22.nn, but this is a bit of a bother. Can I
>>> put something in my .emacs file to counter this unwanted
>>> cleverness? I know that I can put
>>>
>>> 	%-*-latex-*-
>>>
>>> as the first line of the file and both emacs and TeXShop will be
>>> happy, but that seems an unnecessary complication.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Or, alternatively, where else should I more
>>> appropriately post this query?
>>>
>>> Thank you for any insights.
>>
>> Sorry, but I should have mentioned that I am using emacs under X11.
>>

>> Stephen
>>

> Stephen,
> not knowing what exactly is in your .emacs already, I would suggest
> adding the line
>
>           (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.tex$" . tex-mode) auto-
> mode-alist))
>
> as close to the end of .emacs as possible (so that it doesn't get
> overridden by other associations - the order of these things matters).
>
> Jens

I placed the line you suggested at the very end of my .emacs file
(which has very little in it), but a TeX file with %! at the top
still opened as a PostScript file.

I am puzzled. Shouldn't the extension take precedence over anything
else? Surely a .tex file is almost certainly not going to be a
PostScript file...

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion though.

Stephen

PS I did make the discovery that if the first line of the TeX file is
empty and the *second* line begins with %! then the emacs mechanism
is fooled and the file opens in TeX mode. Hmmmm...