[OS X TeX] pdf in Safari et al

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 22 01:05:53 CET 2007

Am 22.01.2007 um 00:44 schrieb Robert Bruner:

> Coming to OS X from a Unix/Linux background, I am astonished that
> there is no mime.types sort of mechanism for telling Safari what
> program to use to interpret data, e.g., .pdf files.
>
> Is this really true?

There are means that explain to all programmes which application
should handle which kind of file. In Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4, the Launch
Service handles this area (UTI: Universal Type Identifier). The
RCDefaultApp Preference Pane for the System Preferences allows to
change some things – 'though newly installed or updated applications
can change these settings upon their installation. And there are many
such "helpful" applications ...

RCDefaultApp Preference Panel can also set MIME things.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.