[OS X TeX] kpsewhich pointing to wrong location?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 20 14:48:08 CET 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 3:57 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> I would not use locate for this purpose at all: the locate database
> is updated by periodic weekly (I think), which runs at 4 in the
> morning, if the computer is running (i.e. not asleep or off) at
> that time. Therefore most machines have a terribly out of date
> locate database, and the results can not be trusted, especially
> when you want to automate this for a variety of systems, TextMate
> probably wants to support *any* available text system.

Since I tend to turn off my PowerBook in the evening and rarely am up
at the normal time for periodics I've been using Macaroni, a
shareware system preference pane, for years. Macaroni basically runs
periodics when there is five minutes of inactivity on a given day. It
runs other tasks periodically too and is programmable.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)