[OS X TeX] Re: Y&Y system

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jan 19 17:56:56 CET 2007

Le 12 janv. 07 à 09:20, John Maindonald a écrit :

> I hope you'll not mind this direct inquiry.  I'll post it to the
> MacOSX-TeX list if that seems preferable, though I'd prefer to hone
> it a bit before taking that route.  I am not sure that I understand
> the issues well enough to formulate the question with the brevity
> and clarity that is desirable for the list. I noticed that you'd at
> some time posted details on a web site re the Y&Y fonts/system.  At
> most I am hoping that you might be able to provide brief quick
> clues.  I am sure you will feel free to say if you feel that I am
> making a request that lies beyond what you regard as reasonable,

Dear Professor Maindonald,

Sorry for this belated answer. At the time I received your message I
was precisely working on adapting my Lucida (and MathTime) font
setups, originating from Y&Y through Blue Sky Research, in order to
make them work with the newest and redesigned TeX distributions for
the Mac (gwTeX from i-Installer, TeXLive from MacTeX). I decided to
answer after that was done, but unfortunately the task took (much
much) longer than expected and I just finished it yesterday.

That said, please don't shy away from the OS X TeX list. People there
are generally friendly, and questions from TeX beginners are
frequent. Moreover, I prefer not to be contacted directly. Any time I
devote to TeX matters is time I really shouldn't, and receiving
direct request makes it even more difficult for me to regulate this
time.

> The LaTeX manuscript for my book was "typeset" by an Indian firm
> who used what seems an antique Y&Y setup on a PC.  I am concerned
> to be able to process the resulting LaTeX files on my Mac OSX
> 10.4.8 setup.   There are various other avenues that I might
> pursue, and I do of course have the manuscript as it was when it
> was sent to the Indian typesetters.
>
> When I try to process them, problems start with the following, from
> a file Srly1enc.sty.  kpathsea complains that it cannot find
> default1, as no doubt it should.
>
> %%
> %% This is file `srly1enc.sty',
> %% 2003, Ragu
> %%   v. 0.1 2000/10/12 (modified support for TEXNANSI=LY1 encoding)
> %% - modified ly1enc.def
> %% - Dumped into this file is modified "texnansi.sty"
> %% - Dumped into this file is modified
> "sryyext2.tex" ("\AtBeginDocument")
> %% - original: Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 David Carlisle
> %%
> \ProvidesPackage{srly1enc}
> [2000/10/23 v0.101 %
>   modified support for TEXNANSI encoding]
> %
> %
> %
> \DeclareFontEncoding{LY1}{}{}
> \DeclareErrorFont{LY1}{dfl}{p}{q}{10}%% to see the error!!!
> %%% Attributes p,q do not exist, so default1 is used always with
> font error
> \DeclareFontSubstitution{LY1}{dfl}{p}{q}%% to see the error!!!
> %
> \DeclareFontFamily{LY1}{dfl}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{LY1}{dfl}{p}{q}{<-> default1}{}
> %
>
> I do have what should be all the files needed, and instructions,
> for installing the setup on a PC, but I've scant idea how this
> might translate to an OSX system.

If you do have the Lucida fonts (in TrueType or PostScript format)
and these are the fonts the typesetter used, then it's a matter of
putting all the pieces at the appropriate places. See my post on this:

<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-January/027878.html>

followed by two corrections:

<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-January/027900.html>
<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-January/027979.html>

However, it seems the typesetter used non-standard fonts which
probably come with homemade support files (like a default1.tfm
metrics). No general rule here, you'll have to study the PC
instructions carefully and adapt them for the Mac. Unfortunately I
can't help; maybe somebody on the OS X TeX list could. This is non-
trivial job, the kind of job some people hire a TeX consultant for;
maybe TUG could direct you towards one?

> What I'd prefer is to find a translation to fonts that are
> standardly available, or can  readily be made available, on an OSX
> installation.  I am using the latest gwtex setup under the latest
> version of Gerben's I-installer. I'd expect that it should have
> equivalents to the fonts used by the typesetters.

This would be even less trivial, but probably the better solution in
the long run. You need to study the style files (with .sty extension)
and font definition files (with .fd extension) carefully, then see
what logic lies behind the font selection and intercept each font
call and translate it to one to standard (CM, LM) fonts. Again, that
requires a fair amount of TeX expertise.

Sorry not to be able to help more. I'm cc'ing this answer to the OS X
TeX list, as I really think this would be the most appropriate forum
for your question, and I think your message was perfectly appropriate
for the list.

Good luck,

Bruno Voisin

Bruno Voisin
Laboratory of Geophysical and Industrial Flows
LEGI, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Phone: +33 4 76 82 50 45
Fax: +33 4 76 82 52 71
Email: Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr / bvoisin at mac.com
Web: www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr/~voisin/english.html