[OS X TeX] No [sic] problems with Lucida installation

Josep M.Font jmfont at inicia.es
Fri Jan 19 16:56:09 CET 2007

Hi,

I a previous post I announced problems with Lucida fonts. I am
satisfied to rectify and announce that I had NO problems after
carefully following Bruno's instructions. Thank you!

By the way, in yesterday message:

> Task 3 was an update of the pre-installed package lucidabr, most
> people won't care and be happy with the pre-installed version.
> Which leaves only step 4: download the metrics and map files from
> CTAN, put there at the appropriate places as indicated in the
> accompanying ReadMe, then use texhash and updmap to update the
> global map files.

I suppose 3 is 2, and 4 is 3.

I also installed TeX Live 2007 and the Lucida fonts in it. Switched
to it, and everything works perfectly with a couple of papers. Both
concerning beamer (see previous post) and Lucida.

Still, I have a question regarding where to put all those files, in
the TeX Live 2007 case. I put them in the appropriate subfolders
inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, as advised by Bruno's
instructions, and this has worked fine. However, I observed that some
of the subfolders already exists, and in each of these cases, the
(sub)folder contains a "final" subfolder named "local". My question
is whether, for purity of directory structure, one should put
everything inside these "local" folders, or not. For instance, should
the .tfm files go into

      /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida/,

as you say, or into

      /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/

(the folder /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local already
exists) ?

Just being curious...

Thanks to Gerben and Maarten as well.

JMaF