[OS X TeX] Local additions repository

Google Kreme gkreme at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 04:05:47 CET 2007

On 18-Jan-2007, at 16:38, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> I was thinking about where to put local customizations of TeX.
> MacTeX recommends ~/Library/texmf, which has several advantages:

IU have a poblem with that, myself.  I don want to see the Library
littered with countless folders.  There is a heirarchy within the
Library folder that should be used.

~/Library/Application Support/ for one ~/Library/Preferences/ for
another.  making a 'top-level' folder in the Library is going to
annoy at least me, and I suspect others.  I would recommend ~/Library/
Application Support/TeX/<everything goes here>

> You cannot install the TeX customizations in the admin account, and
> use them in the non-admin account.

Anything that is globally installed should be installed by the admin
user.  If it is local (user) customizations they should 1) not
require admin access to install and 2) be installed in the user's own
space.

(And yes, I am one of those who does not run my machine under an
admin account).

> each distribution includes a location for putting local
> customizations: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local for teTeX, /usr/
> local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs for gwteX, and /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
> local for TeX Live.

I find it surprising that these packages do not account for local-to-
the-user customizations.  It's a bit like installing BitchX and not
having it support user configurations and preferences. so every user
has to use the same server, the same channels, and the same nickname.

--
"You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf." David
Sedaris, Santaland Diaries