[OS X TeX] OSX-ifying TeX even more

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jan 18 15:40:05 CET 2007

Le 18 janv. 07 à 14:35, Roberto Avanzi a écrit :

> On 18 Jan 2007, at 13:08, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 18.01.2007 um 12:57 schrieb Roberto Avanzi:
>>
>>> Pro and con anyone?
>>
>> Apple developed some recommendations how to handle and where to
>> place different kinds of "bundles." UNIX has a longer history.
>>
>> To sing it with Marx: I'm against it!
>
> Yes, but the internal structure of these directories would be
> identical, and there would be hard or soft links to the directories
> in the bundle - both worlds would then be respected.  The unix
> tools would _see_ no difference at all,
> and the data would be stored in a way that survives complex
> transitions.

Count me among the opposants as well. OS X brings valuable
clarification and organization to the Unix pieces it is based upon,
and by breaking that organization you would lose a lot.

On OS X, applications should go inside /Applications, libraries, back-
ends and so forth inside /Library, and for those parts that come
unchanged from the Unix world inside the invisible directories /bin, /
usr/bin and so forth, defined partly by guidelines dating back to the
origins of Unix and partly by usage. And don't forget that numerous
Unix applications use hard-coded paths, based on these guidelines and
usage.

/Users is supposed to be for user-specific files, including /Users/
Shared for files to be shared among users, but the operation of the
OS and applications should be completely independent from the /Users
area, except for personal preference and configuration files,
personal fonts, personal TeX additions, all inside ~/Library.

That's why I don't use Migration Assistant, and reinstall all the
programs one by one, given many of them rely on components located
inside /Library or in the invisible Unix directories. Accordingly you
need to reinstall these programs from their original installer
packages, which put everything at the proper place.

You can, of course, store these installer packages and all the
customizations you may have added inside /Users/Shared, and reinstall
from there. Personally I store all these installer packages and
customizations on an external hard drive, where I keep the packages
as up to date as possible, and from time to time I burn that
repository on a DVD.

Bruno Voisin