[OS X TeX] Where to put local additions to texmf?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 17 01:06:42 CET 2007

Am 17.01.2007 um 00:14 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> and on the belief that TexmfLocal is were local additions should
> go, I am under the impression that these additions should go to /
> usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs for gwteX [...]

That's what Gerben wrote last year and which I can (seem to) clearly
remember. (But then the sequence in TeX search path, which Maarten
found, is incorrectly configured.)

> On the other hand, based on the criterion that the local additions
> should go to the one place that is in no case erased or overwritten
> by either installer package (the TeX i-Package, or the TeXLive-200*
> MacTeX package), then one is back to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local
> for gwTeX, and /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local for MacTeX.
>
> There must be a flaw somewhere in this reasoning, but where?

It is in you! It's not the i-Installer "that knows what to delete"
but it's in the i-Package bundle. I am sure i-Installer can
distinguish between an old teTeX and a newer more TeX Live based
distribution, so even an elder i-Installer won't delete the branch
with the local additions, which is /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.local for
teTeX and /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs for gwTeX. Systematic additions
installed by i-Installer, go in gwTeX into /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.local, which are ConTeXt and XeTeX. The user(s)'s additions go
into /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs, as was mentioned in conjunction
with mpm. (I don't use Mac Geek TeX, so I cite by heart.)

How did you find your conclusion? If MacTeX is really deleting /usr/
local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs then you've found a bug!

--
Greetings

   Pete

fools.