[OS X TeX] Updated MacTeX Packages

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 16 19:00:45 CET 2007

Folks,

This is a comment on the following important bug report:

On Jan 16, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Installed TeXLive-2007 this morning, and started to test just now.
> The install did leave local additions inside /usr/local/texlive/
> texmf-local unchanged, as should be, but:
>
> - Is mktexlsr (= texhash) invoked at the end of the install, and
> does it take into account the content of /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
> local? I have had to run it manually, otherwise it seems this
> content is not seen.
>
> - All the map files I had added manually with updmap prior to the
> install have vanished from updmap.cfg. They are not inside
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg which seems to
> be (?) the config file mantained by updmap, so that I now have to
> re-add them one by one. I can see them, though, inside the remnant
> of my previous TeXLive-2006 install at /usr/local/texlive/2006/
> texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg.
>
> - After installing TeXLive-2007, almost all of TeXLive-2006 has
> vanished, except for the above file and an empty directory:

The last sentence caught my eye first. This is not supposed to
happen, so I immediately tested. On my machine, installing
TeXLive-2007 left the old /2006 directory intact. and the TeXDist
Preference Panel saw both TeXLive-2006 and TeXLive-2007 and let me
choose between them. I could typeset a large LaTeX document with
either distribution. Inspecting the console showed that the correct
distribution was being used in each case.

There is nothing in the MacTeX package which would remove files. No
"rm" command is present in the pre- and post-install scripts, and the
command which installs files adds missing files and writes updated
files, but doesn't remove anything.

Thus I think Bruno's experience is due to some other cause. 'll
respond immediately if contrary evidence develops; feel free to call
directly in the middle of the night!

The second and third paragraphs from Bruno are also important and
I'll investigate further. Texhash is not currently called by the post-
install script, but such a call could easily be added.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu