[OS X TeX] What do I install ?

Josep M. Font jmfont at inicia.es
Mon Jan 8 17:44:54 CET 2007

I am a long and satisfied user of TeX, TeXShop, i-Installer, etc...

Now I am about to get a new Mac, and want to do a fresh install. I am
a bit puzzled by all the recent changes, discussions, multiplicity of
distributions and installing procedures. What should I do?

I am a normal user (yes, with some expertise), have a broadband
connection, and want a single working installation. Do I download and
install MacTeX_Additions plus TeXLive-2006 ? Do I use i-Installer
2.87.1 ? Instructions in <http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html>
are not very clear to me, they seem written more for the beta-testers
or the upgraders...

One particular question is whether the instructions at <http://
darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/installing.html> are still valid.
If I use i-Installer, should I install that list of 8 i-packages, and
in that order ? What's the relation between these packages and those
listed in the "NewPackages" page ?

Any enlightening will be appreciated.

JMaF