[OS X TeX] Problems with permissions using i-Installer

Martin Buchmann Martin.Buchmann at uni-jena.de
Mon Jan 8 11:40:32 CET 2007

Pete,

Peter Dyballa said the following on 08.01.2007 11:01 Uhr:

> Before you start to maltreat your system you should spend some time with
> UNIX reading and understanding. The incorrect settings might also
> prevent AUCTeX from finding any documentation.

Of course you are more than right and as a matter of fact I exactly
tried to do this in the past :-( I think I now remember what I did...

Someone posted a link to

http://www.corsaire.com/white-papers/060517-securing-mac-os-x-tiger.pdf

in some newsgroup I guess when there was a big discussion going on about
securing Tiger, etc. and I thought that I should read it and see what
might be needful for me. On page 22, section 4.5 file system it is
stated that the default umask should change from 022 to 027 for
preventing newly created files from having read permissions for all users...

D'oh, once again! I only tried to follow what I thought was a good advice...

After setting this back to the default value, ghostscript installs and
runs perfectly.

I am not sure if this a complete proof and the only thing that was wrong
and if gwTeX will not be installed without a problem but I will give it
a try and report later what I've come to.

Thanks for your help, also to Gerben!

   Martin

--
The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh