[OS X TeX] Need help with sed command.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 8 02:33:35 CET 2007

Howdy,

This really isn't OT! :-) But there are enough *nix gurus on this
list I figured I'd get a straight answer without too much blushing.

I'm trying to build a temporary BIBINPUTS environment variable by
storing the output of

kpsewhich --show-path=bib

in BIBINPUTS (don't ask why...). Unfortunately, the output of the
kpsewhich command above lists directories which are to use the ls-R
files to do the search (for speed) with a preceding `!!' which isn't
correct for a simple BIBINPUTS path specification. I've tried

kpsewhich --show-path=bib | sed -e "s/\!\!//"

which only filters the first occurance of `!!'. Is there way (or
better way altogether) to filter all of `!!' out via sed or some
other command through a pipe?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)